Students in the 2018 Music Development Program intake have the opportunity to audition in the following components:
Theory/Aural Skills: A streamed program catering for students at various levels (placement is based on a short entry exam). In groups of 10-15, students receive 30min of music theory and 30min of aural skills tuition from ANU tertiary students.
Chamber Music, and Choir (Vocal Fry): Each semester our excellent ensemble tutors work with different ensembles. Students may request a particular ensemble, and all efforts will be made to accommodate them, however ensemble availability is subject to enrolment. All students must take individual lessons on their instrument (signed letter from private teacher is required by the 3rd week of rehearsals). Ensembles have multiple opportunities for performances each semester, both at ANU and throughout the ACT (including regular performances at embassies).
- Jazz Combo: The Music Development Program Jazz Combo is an ensemble for the aspiring jazz musician. This ensemble caters for rhythm section players, vocalists, and wind players. This ensemble provides students the opportunity to learn how to play in a jazz combo setting with an emphasis on learning ensemble skills, repertoire and improvisation.
Eligibility criteria: ACT students in years 7 to 12, already proficient in an instrument.
All students who apply before the deadline are welcome to participate in 2018 classes, but it is necessary to stream students into appropriate classes and ensembles to make their experience in the Open School as productive as possible. Since our programs are available to all year 7-12 students in the ACT, our students have a wide range of theory/aural skills knowledge, technical ability on their instrument, and ensemble experience. With this level of uncertainty, it is necessary to stream students into classes and ensembles with other students with similar previous experiences.
Please note that acceptance to the Theory/Aural Skills program and Chamber Music ensembles is subject to availability in an appropriate class and ensemble. Acceptance in one program does not guarantee acceptance in the other.
Students will be contacted in writing after the close of applications with audition requirements and their specific time, date and venue.
Music Development Program: Streaming Exam/Audition
Students will sit a short written and aural test to assess their present knowledge.
Classical Chamber Music
- Perform 1 piece (unaccompanied) which demonstrates instrumental ability
- Prepare 1 scale of your choice.
- Short sightreading example.
Chamber Choir (Vocal Fry)
Please note that it is not a requirement that students wishing to apply for Choir be tutored in private singing lessons.
- Sing 'Waltzing Matilda' (Please email email@example.com for a copy of the audition score)
- Sing a simple selection of scales chosen by the audition panel
- Respond to listening tests and a short selection of theory questions
- Melody of a jazz standard or blues. Improvisation is not required but is encouraged.
- One-octave major and minor scales up to two flats and two sharps.
- A Bb blues scale.
- Short sight reading excerpt.
- Brief theory and aural skills test.
- 12 bars of time with a swing feel.
- 8 bars of time of a different feel (e.g., bossa nova, samba, mambo, son, cha-cha-cha, songo, etc.).
- Short sightreading excerpt.
Brief theory and aural skills test.