The School of Music has a strong and enduring commitment to outreach into the wider community. The School of Music works closely with its principal funding supporter, artsACT, and also partners with local festivals, community music making organisations, and teachers and schools through the Education and Training Directorate. The School also collaborates with many of the major cultural institutions resident in the ACT.
The aim of the Open School of Music is to provide developing musicians with a supportive and nurturing social environment in which they can improve their technical and theoretical knowledge of music, interact and share their love of music with their peers, and rub shoulders with the world of professional music-making.
In particular, it aims to ensure that high-quality music education is accessible to all children in the ACT who have the interest and aptitude.
Studying at the ANU Open School of Music offers students a range of activities including:
- Performing opportunities
- A stimulating school environment with a like-minded peer group
- Tuition from the highly experienced staff at the ANU Open School
- Chamber music opportunities
- Performance preparation classes
- Masterclasses with ANU staff and visiting artists
- Videoconferencing – opportunities to observe or take part in videoconference masterclasses
- Audition preparation sessions e.g. for Australian Youth Orchestra and Canberra Youth Music
- Interaction with ANU School of Music staff and tertiary students
- Access to the Art & Music Library and borrowing privileges.
Friday 24 October 2014
4.30pm to 8pm
ANU School of Music, building 100
The Music for Colleges Program offers a special opportunity to talented and committed young musicians in years 11 and 12, who want to be inspired, challenged and encouraged to make the most of their musical ability.
Through the Music Development Program, a range of pathways for young music students taking instrumental, vocal, or theory lessons are available to students from the ACT community, as well as engagement opportunities for music lovers of all ages.