The Music for Colleges Program is for ACT year 11 and 12 students interested in undertaking advanced classical or jazz music as an H-course in addition to studies in their home college. Audition applications for 2018 will open on the 18th of September 2017. Auditions will be held between the 17th and 19th of November 2017. If you would like to be informed when applications are open, please contact email@example.com and ask to be added to our Music for Colleges mailing list. Please note, this program is not available to international students.
As this program is accredited by the BSSS, students enrol in this program as part of their year 11/12 package and can choose to take this course as either a minor (1 year) or a major (2 years). This program is available to students enrolled at any college in the ACT that follows the ACT education system. It is recommended that students also participate in the music program at their home college.
Please note that successful applicants enrol for one year at a time and re-enrolment is subject to satisfactory attendance with progress determined by the relevant area.
Students are expected to have an instrumental proficiency level of Grade 7 AMEB for piano and strings. A high level of proficiency is also expected in wind, brass, guitar and percussion students, and will be assessed on a case by case basis.
Vocal students will be expected to demonstrate their potential through carefully chosen repertoire which matches their current level of vocal maturity.
All students are expected to have completed the work for an AMEB Grade 4 in either Theory, Musicianship or Music Craft. The Open School of Music can provide you with a list of tutors who can assist with your preparation.
For futher advice on this matter please forward any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2 contrasting pieces to be played with an accompanist* where relevant (the accompanist is to be supplied by, and at the expense of, the applicant)
- A major and minor scale appropriate to the instrumental proflciency level. Vocal students will given a variety of scale based excerpts to assess voice development.
- Short sightreading excerpt and aural test.
- Evidence of completing the study required for AMEB Grade 4 Theory, Musicianship or Music Craft. Students who have not taken the official AMEB exam will be asked to sit a short test at their audition.
Jazz (all instruments/voice, except drummers)
- Melody and two improvised choruses of a standard (32 bars).
- Melody and two improvised choruses of a 12-bar blues.
- Two-octave major and minor scales.
- Short sightreading excerpt.
- Brief theory and aural skills test.
- 32 bars of time with a ‘swing’ feel.
- Time played over a standard (32 bars), with appropriate hits corresponding to the melody.
- 8 bars each of two different Latin feels (e.g. bossa nova, samba, mambo, son, cha-cha-cha, songo, etc.).
- Short sightreading excerpt.
Brief theory and aural skills test.