The Finishing Touch
Musicians for every occasion
The Finishing Touch is a service to assist you with providing oustanding performers from the School of Music - students, alumni and staff - for your event.
Please note you will be charged for pack-up/set-down time of the musicians on top of performance time. < 30 minutes is usually sufficient.
Publishing fee $75 (applies to every booking)
Soloist $100 per hour
Duo/trio/quartet $80 per musician per hour
Staff and Alumni
Solist $220 per hour
Duo/trio/quartet $180 per musician per hour
If you have a quote from the Finishing Touch and you would like to pay online, please pay here: School of Music online payments.
The musicians usually play light classical or jazz background music. They are happy to discuss their repertoire with you, including the music to be played during the signing of the register or fanfares to welcome speakers, prize winners etc. The musicians may charge additional fees where specific music is requested, in concert situations and where soloists/singers need to rehearse with an accompanist. Please discuss any specific requirements with the musicians.
The venue and the anticipated number of guests at your event will determine the size and nature of the ensemble. For example, a duo may be sufficient for an intimate wedding but a brass ensemble is better for an outdoor product launch.
A running sheet or program should be provided for the musicians. They usually require chairs (without arms), adequate lighting and a covering against the elements.
- Ensembles and soloists will be quoted for a minimum call of 1 hour.
- For singers, an additional cost to cover rehearsal and performance with an accompanist may be required.
- After midnight, on Sundays and Public Holidays the fee for all musicians may increase, as negotiated.
- Fees for larger ensembles can be negotiated.
Fees are payable prior to the event; please note:
- 50% of the total agreed fee may be charged for any performance cancelled within two weeks of the booking date.
- 75% of the total agreed fee may be charged for any performance cancelled within one week of the event.
- 100% of the total agreed fee may be charged for performances cancelled within 48 hours of the event.
- Additional charges for travel will be applicable for functions outside the ACT.
Additional Considerations For A Successful Event
- Meals and accommodation should be offered for out-of-town and evening engagements.
- Food and drinks should be provided for the musicians where agreed, especially for performances of 3 hours or more.
- Musicians will require 10-15 minute break each hour.
- You should ensure you have suitable public liability and workers compensation insurance to cover the musicians in accordance with current legislation.
- If an outdoor event is planned, an alternate venue should be organised in case of inclement weather. Cancellation and full fee may be payable if alternative venues are not provided.
- All venues for Jazz Musicians must have access to electrical outlets.
Possible combinations for Classical Musicians include:
- Solo players: Violin, cello, flute, guitar, piano, harp
- Duos: Guitar with violin, cello or flute/clarinet Singers with accompanist
- Trios: String (violins/viola with cello) Wind (flute, clarinet & bassoon) Guitar, flute & Cello
- Quartets: String (2 violins, viola & cello) Trombone, guitar & brass
Students, graduates and faculty musicians are happy to play at a large variety of special occasions including:
- Wedding receptions
- Corporate functions
- Award nights
Any variety of ensembles can play at your event including:
- Solo piano/guitar
- Duos or sextets
It is possible to build an ensemble during your function. For example, a soloist or a duo can be used for pre-dinner drinks, musicians can be added for dinner music and then again for dancing after dinner.
Possible combinations for Jazz musicians include:
- Solo players: Guitar or piano.
- Duos: Guitar or piano with bass, horn or vocals.
- Trios: Guitar or piano with bass and horn, Drums or vocals.
- Quartets and quintets: Various combinations of the above.
- Larger ensembles by request
Yummy Mummy Inc. Sydney
Michelle L. Fisher
Events & Communications Manager
Canberra Business Council